Offering a newsletter for your service-based business has so many benefits. It’s an easy thing that you can do in order to keep in contact with your readers. You can add a signup form for your newsletter to your website letting visitors know they have another way to get more free information from you.
Why it’s important:
- It helps you to build your list.
- Having a relationship with your list and getting them to know, like and trust you is what will get those list members purchasing your services.
- You show up in their inbox and keep your business, brand and services top-of-mind.
- Offering free, quality content activates the law of reciprocity making readers want to return the favor by paying for your services.
- It establishes you as an authority in your field.
How to do it:
It’s really not as hard as you may think. Even a non-tech savvy person like me can set up a newsletter! There are different platforms you can use for this—some for a small fee and some totally free.
The first tool I ever used for this in my business was MailChimp. It’s very straightforward and easy to use for list uploading, design and newsletter send out. The process is broken down into easy steps and they have great video tutorials if you get stuck. Oh, and the chimp mascot guy is cute and funny!
I am now using Aweber for list building and sending out my newsletter and it’s great! The big reason that I switched is because MailChimp does not look kindly on affiliate marketing. Many things in Aweber are the same as MailChimp. You can still set up autoresponder messages and there are templates to use for your newsletter. However, the tracking and analytics are great and they also offer phone support. You can try Aweber out here for a dollar!
What to write about in your newsletter:
- Include a personal message from you in the beginning so that people get to know you.
- Highlight some of your blog posts. You can start with either the ones that have received the most traffic or ones that you know contain great info but have been overlooked.
- Talk about industry news.
- Advertise your products, services or affiliate programs.
- Let readers know what your business has been up to and announce any new happenings.
Those are just a few ideas to get you started. Do you have any other ideas for what to post in your newsletter? Please share them in the comments below. Your answer might just help someone else who is feeling stuck for content.